In Repeating Mode, the Speedefy router can work as a WiFi extender to extend the coverage of an existing WiFi network.
Speedefy routers have two repeating mode, WISP and Client+AP.
What is the difference between them?
In WISP Mode, the secondary router still keeps DHCP function, and can assign IP addresses to devices connected to it. For example, if the main router’s gateway is 192.168.0.1 and the secondary router’s gateway is 192.168.3.1, then the devices connected to the secondary router will get an IP of 192.168.3.X(X ranges from 1 to 254). WISP mode is usually used to extend the ISP's WiFi hotspot.
In Client+AP Mode, the secondary router does not have DHCP function, and it shares the same network segment as the main router. For example, if the main router’s gateway is 192.168.0.1, then the devices connected to the secondary router will get an IP of 192.168.0.X(X ranges from 1 to 254). Client+AP mode can be used to extend any type of wireless network.
WISP mode and Client mode allow you to connect all your home or office devices to the Internet even when there is no possibility to physically obtain a normal wired link to the ISP.
In WISP mode or Client+AP mode, you will surely have worse latency (longer ping) and much higher jitter and probably more packets lost than on wired link.
When should you use WISP or Client+AP alternative?
It is reasonable to use the WISP mode or Client+AP mode as the alternative one when it is impossible to connect your wireless router’s WAN port directly to the ISP using the Ethernet cable. Actually, connecting to the ISP using the Ethernet or fiber technology is more preferable because the connection quality is higher.
How to enable WISP mode or Client+AP mode?
Step 1: Ensure the hardware connection is right
(1) Power on the Speedefy router.
(2) Do not connect any devices to the WAN port.
Step 2: Log in to the web management page of the Speedefy router
(1) Connect to the WiFi of the Speedefy router.
(2) Visit http://speedefywifi.com or 192.168.3.1 in a browser. Complete the instructions if this is the first time you're setting up the router.
Step 3: Configure WISP mode or Client+AP mode
(1) Go to WiFi Settings > Wireless Repeating, enable the wireless repeating function.
(2) Choose WISP mode or Client+AP mode according to your needs.(here we take Client+AP mode as an example).
(3) Select an upstream WiFi that can be extended.
(4) Enter the upstream WiFi’s password.
(5) Click Save and OK.
(6) Wait for the router to reboot and the settings will take effect.
(7) Reconnect to the WiFi network just set, and visit http://speedefywifi.com to check the Internet Status or configure more settings as you need.
1. When the wireless repeating function is enabled, some functions will be unavailable, such as WiFi Schedule, Guest Network, WPS and IPTV.
2. When the wireless repeating function is enabled, please enter http://speedefywifi.com to log in to the web management page.